interesting facts about food
A fantastic list of one hundred random food facts from fruit & veg,
to chocolate and candy. If you love your food, you’ll enjoy these facts!
You can share your own interesting facts!
- A survey showed 29% of adults say they have been splashed or scalded by hot drinks while dunking biscuits.
- Ortharexia Nervosa is an eating disorder where the sufferer is obsessed with eating healthy food.
- Ketchup was sold in the 1830’s as medicine.
- Dry swallowing one teaspoon of sugar can commonly cure hic-ups.
- In Kentucky, it is illegal to carry an ice cream cone in your back pocket.
- The fear of cooking is known as Mageirocophobia and is a recognised phobia.
- The tea bag was introduced in 1908 by Thomas Sullivan of New York.
- The tall chef’s hat is called a toque.
- Arachibutyrophobia is the fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of the mouth.
- In South Africa, termites and ants are often roasted and eaten by the handful, like popcorn.
- Every time you lick a stamp, you consume 1/10 of a calorie.
- Pearls melt in vinegar.
- The ’57’ on the Heinz ketchup bottle represents the number of pickle types the company once had.
- Marmite was first introduced into the UK in 1902.
- The ancient Greeks chewed a gum-like substance called mastic that came from the bark of a tree.
- Honeybee workers must visit 2 million flowers to make one pound of honey.
- The fear of vegetables is called Lachanophobia.
- Almonds are a member of the peach family.
- If you boil beetroot in water, and then massage the water into your
scalp each night, it works as an effective cure for dandruff.
- In the United States, lettuce is the second most popular fresh vegetable.
- Grape growing is the largest food industry in the world as there are more than 60 species and 8000 varieties of grapes.
- The average person eats eight pounds of grapes each year.
- There are more than 7,000 varieties of apples grown in the world.
- A cluster of bananas id formerly called a ‘hand’. Along that theme, a single banana is called a ‘finger’.
- Onion is Latin for ‘large pearl’.
Subscribe to our "Unbelievable Facts" Newsletter
Go back to homepage of Fun-Interesting-Facts.com - Submit your own facts