Interesting facts about dogs
Dogs. They’re real best friens for humans? Butdo you really know a lot
know about your canine companion? Test your knowledge by checking our fun facts about man’s (and woman’s) best friend.
You can share your own interesting facts!
- Sergeant Stubby, a bulldog mix, was the most decorated war dog of
World War I and the only dog to be promoted in rank through combat.
- Like humans, dogs have a paw preference, generally favoring either the left or right paw to perform tasks
- Dogs read human faces and expressions from left to right, which is
the same thing humans do with each other. Dogs don’t do this with any
other species, and may explain why they’re so good at reading our
- Studies have shown that people with dogs are healthier than those
without. Overall, dog parents have lower blood pressure, lower
cholesterol and are less prone to depression.
- The average dog can recognize around 150 words
- A Border Collie named Chaser knows more than 1,000 words, including verbs, adverbs, and prepositions.
- The mental ability of most dogs is equivalent to that of a 2-year-old child.
- When it comes to intelligence, Border Collies come in first and Poodles second.
- French Poodles actually originated in Germany, not France.
- The majority of U.S. presidents have owned dogs. The first to
receive extensive press coverage was Warren G. Harding’s Airedale,
Laddie Boy. He even had his own seat at cabinet meetings!
- Mongolian general Kublai Khan kept 5,000 Mastiffs as part of his army.
- Over 2,500 dogs serve in the U.S. military today.
- A dog’s sense of smell is at least 1,000 times greater than that of a human.
- Dogs have 220 million olfactory receptors while humans have a paltry 5 million.
- The ridges and creases in a dog’s nose are as unique as fingerprints. No two are alike!
- Contrary to popular belief, dogs can see color but they see it
differently than we do. They can see bluish and greenish shades but not
- The ears of a dog can move independently. That’s because they have twice as many muscles in their ears as humans.
- Dogs can hear a much higher frequency of sounds than we can, meaning the world is a very noisy place for them.
- For their Sgt. Pepper album, the Beatles recorded a sound only dogs can hear and placed it in the song, “A Day in the Life.”
- There are approximately 78 million pet dogs in the U.S., living in 39% of American households.
- In 2015, the most popular name for a male dog was Max, while Bella was number one for females.
- An estimated 78% of pet dogs are spayed or neutered, compared to 88% of pet cats.
- The latest research indicates dogs have been domesticated for anywhere from 27,000 to 40,000 years.
- An Australian Cattle Dog named Bluey holds the Guinness world record for the oldest dog ever. He lived 29 years and 5 months.
- The tallest living dog on record is Zeus, a Great Dane who measures
44 inches at the shoulder. The smallest is Milly, a Chihuahua who is
only 3.8 inches tall.
Subscribe to our "Unbelievable Facts" Newsletter
Go back to homepage of Fun-Interesting-Facts.com - Submit your own facts